Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Rest, Rest, and More Rest

My plan to start back with my workouts over the weekend unfortunately went south.  I have regrets, but I can't really say that I'm sorry.  It's one of the sucky parts of aging that our bodies just can't physically keep up with what our minds are convinced are totally doable.....like being able to work all day, and then drive all night (no can do...not anymore, but my brain sure thinks I can).  What I'm learning is that, although my energy and stamina are improving dramatically on a daily basis, there are still limits to what my almost 52-year-old body is able to do.  And with the enormous amounts of overtime I've been putting in the past few weeks, my body was at a breaking point, in terms of physically AND mentally. 

So...I took the weekend off.  And by 'off', I mean I did nothing except eat and watch TV and REST.

I may have been a slug, but my food was on point, however.  I have gotten to a very comfortable place in my eating, and I think now that I'm in the groove, I'll be able to ride it out pretty well going forward.  I manage to work in good things...savory things...that keep me from getting bored or restless without going overboard, and they are still totally within the boundaries I've set for myself.  Case in point; I have found an amazing cajun crab dip at the grocery store that is made with no mayo. Two tablespoons is only 70 calories (it's mostly just diced crab), and I pair it with Nut Thins crackers, 8 of which are only 65 calories.  That makes for one helluva delicious treat, and totally within my parameters!

The slug bit notwithstanding, I feel SO MUCH BETTER after two days of rest! I woke up yesterday rejuvinated and ready for my week ( another long one), and although my housework didn't thank me for it, I know that the time off was not time wasted, but a necessity.  I did not work out, but my body did nothing but benefit from the rest.

Today, I'll be going out to lunch with all my coworkers at a Mexican restaurant.  I'm looking forward to the cameraderie, and have already decided on having a delicious taco salad (no cheese or guac, extra lettuce, fresh salsa for dressing...yumm!), so I'll be totally prepared when I get there.  Making the choice ahead of time totally takes out the angst, and all I have to do is enjoy myself! 

I'm really liking where my head is these days, how strong I've become, both mentally and physically.  I feel like I'm playing from a position of power, now, and that's a really, really good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment