Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Birthday Sweat!

Holy cow, what a great birthday I've had!!  I feel like I've been celebrating all weekend long!!  Yesterday was my actual birthday, and I hadn't really planned anything special for that day, because we'd had such a great weekend, so it was just going to be another day, haha.

Not.  I have the best family, friends, and coworkers EVER. 

At work, it's tradition for everyone to gather around the birthday cake and present the group card whilst singing happy birthday.  At 8:00 in the morning, no less.  Great way to start your day with a major sugar rush, AND destroy your calorie count, to boot.  Months ago, I told Tracy, "friends don't let friends die from sugar overdoses on their birthday....don't you dare get me a cake this year!"  And true friend that she is, she didn't.  Instead, she specially made me an on-plan dessert that everyone could share that was much more feasible for early-morning consumption, anyway.  It was made with graham crackers, cool-whip and lots of fresh berries, and incredibly delish!  I wanted to get a pic, but honestly, these cretins I work with sucked it up so quickly, I didn't get a chance. (Just kidding...I was the one dishing it out, lol...but seriously, it really was beautiful.)

All day long, my phone was dinging with well-wishes from family and friends.  My co-worker took me out to lunch at my favorite sushi place, where I got this totally awesome fortune in my cookie (as if I don't get 'special' stuff from people all the time...my life is charmed, I swear).  And people kept poking their heads in my door all day to tell me happy birthday.  It was awesome.





Last night, I had a 3 mile run scheduled, so I decided to go ahead and work a couple of hours of overtime to let the heat of the day dissipate a bit before I hit the trail.  It worked out pretty well, actually, and I'll probably do that again on Thursday.  It was overcast, but nice and cool...or so I thought, until I actually started running.  Then the humidity took over to the point that I felt like I was running through molasses.  Gah!  The sweat was streaming into my eyes and burning so bad, I couldn't hold them open to see.  By the time I got done, I was a steamy hot mess, for sure.  But I felt so good, being done!  What better way to fight old age than to kick it in the teeth with a birthday run?



Yes, Lawd.  That's me...serious hot mess, and loving every second of it!

As I was walking back to the car, a song came on the radio.  Fairly new...I've only heard it a couple of times, and never really paid attention to the words, but this time the chorus stuck in my head:

This is my fight song
Take back my life song
Prove I'm alright song
My power's turned on
Starting right now I'll be strong
I'll play my fight song
And I don't really care if nobody else believes
Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me


Yes, Lawd.  That's me...fighting all the way.  I'll take that song, and make it my battle cry.  Five months in, and I'm still going strong.  This time, I'm gonna get this done.  I have to...my life depends on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment