Monday, November 27, 2023

To Snore....or Not to Snore...

hen last we left off, I was preparing for my first support group meeting...the first of three I must attend.  It all went very well, actually better than I expected. Not only was the room full of people going through this just like me, but several attendees had already undergone their surgery and were still attending because they saw the value.  That was very encouraging, not only to see them, but to hear them share bits of advice and how things are going was also really helpful. By far, the best aspect of the whole night was turning around and seeing the doctor and his entire team sitting in the back of the room, attending...and sharing...right along with all of us. That was incredible, to know that they were making themselves THAT available for all of us.  They even joked and shared questions and info with the nutritionist (who was running the meeting) as we talked about ways we might alter traditional thanksgiving recipes to make them healthier. Overall, I was very pleased, and eager for the next meeting in December!

Right before Thanksgiving, I received in the mail the kit I needed to conduct my sleep study at home, to see whether I have sleep apnea or not ( I snore really bad).  This kit contained a watch-like device, a lead to mount to my chest directly under my throat, and a monitor to wear on my finger (like the thing they make you wear sometimes when they're taking your blood pressure).  I was supposed to sync all this with an app I had to download to my phone, put it all on, and then start the app right before I went to sleep so it could record all night.  This morning, when I woke up, I stopped the app, which automatically sent the recording to the sleep lab for analysis. They will send the results to my pulmonary doctor, who will go over them with me when I go in for my follow-up appointment with him.

The process turned out to be fairly easy, but it was not easy to sleep, knowing that all that was going on. The watch and the lead didn't bother me....I'm used to sleeping with my Garmin watch on, anyway.  But the monitor on my finger really irritated my finger to the point that it kept waking me up.  Not only that, but they want you to try to sleep at least half the night either on your side or your back.  I am a stomach sleeper, with a curvature in my spine. I can NOT sleep on my back unless I'm propped up to the nines. And sleeping on my side always culminates on me rolling to my stomach. Given all that, I'm not sure how much actual good info they might have managed to capture, as Keith says I slept like a rock and didn't snore all night like usual. Not sure how he knows that, because it seemed like I was awake half the night, listening to HIM snore....but I guess we'll find out how much...or how little...sleep I actually got when I go in for my appointment.

Next up...prepping for my colonoscopy and endoscopy on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment