Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Progress is Relative

I ran last night.  It was awesome.  Everything felt good, everything felt solid, and the weather was great. My pace was great, too....13:30 average over roughly 2 1/2 miles. Yes, I did a little walking....I set up an interval program on my runkeeper app last week to do 10 intervals of 1.5 minutes with .45 seconds of walking in between.  It worked so well, that I upped it last night to 15 intervals.  My goal was to hit 3 miles, and it wasn't quite enough, so I'll wind up bumping the program until I get that distance.  I'm really starting to think that Jeff Galloway might be onto something with the run/walk/run thing...I seem to do much better that way.

I could tell my pace was good right from the start, so when my hip started griping, I didn't want to slow down.  I should have listened to my body...I'm hurting something fierce this morning, and I'm really glad today is an off day.  But it made me think a lot about my progress, and this morning, I realized that I've only been running since the beginning of April.  This is the beginning of July....can it only have been three months??

Yep.

I've come a long way, baby.  And I need to stop and acknowledge that progress every time I start kicking myself for not being farther along in this process than I am.  When I lost all the weight back in '05, I was walking every day.  Not running....walking.  I didn't start running until much later that year, and in 2009, I actually trained for three months before doing my first 5K....and that was 10K training!

This year, I started out running, and had only been running for two months when I ran the Covered Bridge.  I'm six years older than I was back then. And I was beating myself up because I didn't PR....geez.  Sometimes, perspective is a good thing.  I need to acknowledge to myself more often that I'm rocking this thing, and that it's ok to run slower sometimes, especially when I'm nursing an injury.

So...when I run tomorrow night (and I will run), I'm going to take it easy and give my poor hip a well-deserved break.

No comments:

Post a Comment