Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Catch Up Time!

Can't believe I missed a blog post.  But then, I'm not used to missing a run, either, and that happened this week, too.  So, I guess stranger things have happened.  

Friday was a good day.  Sheila and I got together again after work, and we had a great workout, despite the heat beating us to death.  The humidity didn't seem quite as bad as it had been on Wednesday, maybe that was it.  We didn't go quite as far, either...only a couple of miles, but it seemed like more.  Maybe it was because we did a lot of starting and stopping, which I'm not used to.  But the odd thing is...we've only been on two runs together so far, and both times, I've had issues.

Wednesday, I ended with a HUGE blister on my heel, which I attributed to my socks riding down into my shoes.  Regardless, by Friday, it was better, but still very tender, and I padded it with a huge bandage and a pair of Keith's old socks that ride higher than mine before I ran.  The run itself went fine, but I had really pushed myself on Wednesday, and my hip was hurting a bit.  By the end of our run on Friday, my hip was really screaming at me.  I could tell I had pulled a muscle...or at least increased the damage I did on Wednesday.  By the time I got home, I could barely lift my leg, and it only got marginally better over the weekend.  I spent all day Saturday hobbling around the house and resting as much as I could, but by Sunday morning, I knew that even though it was a bit better (after much ibuprofen and alternating hot and cold packs all day), running was going to HAVE to be out if I had a prayer of staying on track with the rest of my running/training.

To say I was bummed is a true understatement.  All I could think of on Sunday was that Sheila (who is at Myrtle Beach on vacation all week) was gonna kick my butt for missing a run.  Even though I know it's not true...not actually sure she ran Sunday, either...just knowing it's possible is a great motivator.  We did promise to keep each other on track, after all. 

I didn't hear from her on Sunday, but we are tied in on our Runkeeper accounts, and also on My Fitness Pal, so I knew I'd see her activity if she ran.  Sure enough, she popped up on my feed yesterday morning...a nice little mile-long run down the beach (in SAND, people...major props for that).  And that, of course, upped the ante for me.  I couldn't possibly tell her I didn't run if I knew for a fact that she did, you see.  Good thing I brought my gear...

Yes, my hip was still grumbling, but I felt good enough with my progress to test it out.  So I loaded up a very easy interval program...1 minute easy, 1.5 minutes slow x 10.  The first couple of intervals were tough, I won't lie.  But as I ran, the kinks started unraveling, and I slowly started loosening up enough to where I didn't feel the pull so much. So...I kept it light, but at the end of the program, instead of cooling down, I started running more. It felt really good to stretch out, and I could feel the machine humming.  Several things contributed to that hum:
  1. I ran on flat asphalt...the high school track.  Dull, boring, but efficient.
  2. It was late in the day. Much later than I've been running the past week, and the sun was well on the way to setting.
  3. It was MUCH cooler than it has been for over a month!
  4. There was a very nice, refreshing breeze blowing the whole time.
All in all...absolutely perfect weather to run in, and perfect conditions to run.  I was enjoying it so much, I really didn't want to stop.  And so, I didn't.  Well...not for a while, at least.  I ended up with a little over 3 miles under my belt, a nice little calorie burn, and my hip and heel still functional.  It's griping a bit today, but nothing major. Certainly nothing a little ibuprofen won't cure, and I should be in good shape for tomorrow's run. They're calling for rain, but hopefully it'll hold off long enough to get my run in before heading home.  Can't let Sheila beat me....it's ok if she ties me, though. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, good for her for running on vacation! I live in Myrtle Beach and at my fittest, couldn't run on the sand! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it ONCE years ago, when I lived in GA...just about did me in, lol! What a great workout, though...

    ReplyDelete