Thursday, July 16, 2015

Catch-up Time

Keith has been out of town for almost two weeks, and when he's gone, I'm pretty much working 12-15 hours a day, so my posts have been suffering as a consequence.  Pretty sucky that I'm still having so much trouble with pics, too.  I had an amazing, super-long-and-meaty post all ready from weekend before last, and when I went to post it, it didn't save, so I lost pretty much the whole thing.  When I get it finished, though, I WILL post it...that weekend was too awesome not to.


I had a couple of really good runs last week, and then over the weekend, I rocked a run on Friday, and then hiked about 3 miles on Saturday with my daughter.  It was great, but my hip paid the price, so I decided to sit out my run on Sunday and start fresh on Monday with Sheila. 


They were calling for major storms coming into our area on Monday evening, so we decided to run on station, where we could stay close to the cars in case the weather turned bad really quickly.  We were one lap from being done when Sheila looked up at the black sky (where lightning had just struck), and said "I think we need to be done....like, now."  Good thing she was with me...I'd have pushed it and got soaked (or worse).  We were really close to the cars at that point, so we just called it and headed to them.  As soon as my hand touched the handle on the door, the wind picked up and rain started blowing sideways.  Holy cow....it started raining so hard, I almost couldn't see the lines on the road on the way home.


But we made it home safely, and back to work on Tuesday in that same driving rain....ugh.  Fortunately, by yesterday, the worst of the storm had cleared, and it was overcast, cool and breezy for our run last night.

Which we rocked.  


This was an amazing, amazing run, from start to finish.  As soon as the Runkeeper app called the first time at the 9 minute mark, I knew we were kicking it.  And we never let up, the whole time.  Our splits were not just incredible, we actually had negative splits the whole way through!!

I couldn't get a pic of the actual intervals, but they were pretty much all in the 11:00-13:00 min per mile range.  And with a time of 39:05 for 3-plus miles, plenty fast enough to PR my upcoming 5K, if I can run that well, then.

This morning, my hip's letting me know how hard I worked it last night....with a vengeance.  I'm icing it down and taking industrial strength ibuprofen, so I'm hoping to be in better shape tonight.  Even so, I'm very thankful that tonight is a rest night, because I need it.

Tomorrow, I won't be running with Sheila, so I think I'll either hit the high school track or go for a long, slow run on the Tweetsie, depending on the hip.  Either way, there's nothing like the feel of progress, which I'm definitely making, now. 

Tomorrow will also be my first weigh-in in two weeks, as I had to miss the last one.  It will be interesting to see if my eating strategy has stood the test of time.  I've done my best to stay on track, even with all the summer festivities going on around me, so as long as I've at least maintained, I won't complain.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for a loss, though....even if it's just a little one. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment