Tuesday, December 1, 2015

November Wrap-Up and Goals for December

Well, I can't lie and say the last couple of months have been stellar, but I will say that they were the hardest part of this whole last year...including just starting out on this journey!  I've learned so much about myself through this process, not the least of which is how badly the turn of seasons impacts me. It just makes me wonder how I've gone so long without realizing it.

I know I've grown, though...mentally, I'm far tougher than I thought I was, and so much more able to cope than even two months ago. The most awesome aspect of this, though, will be knowing that when Fall rolls around next year...I will be prepared.  It will not catch me sleeping again.  If I know something has the potential of happening, it is easy to prepare for.  It's the stuff that blindsides me that I can't handle.

Friday and Monday runs were both done at the gym on the treadmill.  It wasn't fun, but it's all about getting it done right now. My preferences are just going to have to take a back seat for the time being....my current motto is 'just do the damn thing, already', and I mean it.  No excuses...it's time to get as serious again as I have been all year up to this point, to take back the reins of my life and get this behind me so I can move on with the process of living.

...and with that in mind, my totals for the month of November (as crappy as they are):


Goal: 75 miles in 30 days, with no more than 4 activity-less days and 6 mileage-less rest days.
Actual:  49.28 miles in 30 days, of which a whopping 16 days were rest days (an injury sidelined me for a week).
Average:  3.52 miles per day (on the days I had mileage)

Interestingly, my average was slightly higher than last month.  I had hoped that by lowering my mileage goal, it would help me keep it real, but the truth was that I was not just battling mentally to get my activity in, I was battling mightily on the food front, too.  The Munchies almost did me in.  True story.

I have to say, though, that right now I'm feeling decidedly better in spirit than I have since September, which gives me great hope that I will be able to far exceed my expectations for this new month.

My November Goals:

  • 75 miles loggedNope.  66% was the best I  could do.
  • No more than 4 activity-less days and 6 mileage-less 'rest' days.   Nope here, too. A fall down the stairs had me sidelined for over a week while my bruised foot healed. Honestly, though...I probably wouldn't have done much better.
  • Add in strength training. Finally....a goal with progress! 
True, it was only on the last day, but I actually got off the treadmill last night, did some elliptical, and more importantly, got on the rowing machine.  Baby steps, granted...but I really enjoyed it, and plan on trying to incorporate more of that whenever I go to the gym.

My 2015 mileage is still accumulating, regardless of how slowly.  It could always be worse...I could have not accumulated any in November, right? 

April:                32.23 miles logged
May:                 54.49 miles logged
June:                28.55 miles logged
July:                 85.19 miles logged
August:            91.23 miles logged
September:   112.71 miles logged
October:          62.90 miles logged
November:     49.28 miles logged
 

Total:            522.27 miles for 2015 to date!  Over 500...wow!!!
So....where does that leave me for December goals? 

Good question.

I've given it a lot of thought, more actually than I did last month. I know Christmas is coming up, and office food goes wild this month. But I'll also be off the last week of the month, with hopefully lots of opportunities during that time to add in extra activity to offset that Week of Food.






Goals for December:
  • 75 miles logged.  I'm determined to make it this month!
  • No more than 4 activity-less days and 6 mileage-less 'rest' days.   (still factoring in bad weather.)
  • Increase strength training. Hoping to build on what I started at the gym last night...maybe incorporate some weight training a bit. We'll see.


All in all, I feel really good about what this month has in store for me.  I'm super-strong right now, I've taken pains to build a better support system, and will continue to work on that this month, and I've got my eyes on the prize.  One month (and one season) left in this year's journey....let's do the damn thing!!!
What about you? How was your November?  Did you accomplish all you set out to do?



3 comments:

  1. Fantastic goals and easily do-able for sure! I finally set down some goals for myself for December too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to let December go too, but I have set some goals and am feeling better already having a plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planning is half the battle, I think. If I'm not prepared for my day (or month), I might as well throw in the towel, because it's not going to go well. :/

      Delete