Sunday, August 9, 2015

Workin' on the Weekends

I really hate working on the weekends. It's always a bummer.  The older I get, the more I realize how much I need my downtime, especially with working so much extra during the week.  But the tradeoff this time is that week after next, I'll get to take the entire week off to spend with my hubby.  That week being our anniversary week just makes it that much more special, and I'm SO looking forward to the break!


Physically, it's not going to be a relaxing chill-a-thon, by any stretch of the imagination...we're going to be working on Tracy's house all week.  But mentally, it's exactly the break I need.  Sitting around the house would get boring, and so I'm looking forward to the challenge.  Physically active and mentally stimulating at the same time....perfect!


Thursday, I got in a 3 mile walk in the morning, and then had a semi-decent run with Sheila that evening.  It was the first time we'd been able to run together in a week, and we missed it.  The air was so thick and muggy, though, that I struggled terribly.  It was probably the hardest run I've had in a long time, in terms of not being able to catch my breath. It felt much more like I'd just started running again instead of having put in so many hours since the beginning of April...square one, for sure.  We wound up with a pace of 12:57, but I swear, as hard as we were working, we should have been in the 10's.  We enjoyed it, though, and I finished the 3 mile run with a 2 mile cool-down walk for good measure.  An 8 mile day is always good.


Friday was a rest day for me, but I had planned on working very late to get in all my hours (and not have to work on Saturday), so I made sure to get in a two mile walk early in the day before it got too hot.  I really wanted to go back out later and maybe do two more, but I didn't get the chance.  Friday was also  weigh-in day, and I was pleased to see that all my added activity scored me a 1.5 pound loss this week.  That puts me down to 216.2 for a total of 65 pounds lost...not bad, at all.


Yesterday was another run day, but it was also a MAJOR rest day for me in terms of work.  I spent a glorious morning in my jammies doing nothing but puttering around my house doing some light touch-up cleaning (all that's needed with only me there).  Late in the afternoon, I headed to the track where I ran 4 miles with an average pace of 13:46, and then got another cool down mile after that, for a total of 5.  Honestly, that run felt much easier and faster than the one I struggled with so hard on Thursday.  Guess that's the difference humidity makes on your lungs...yesterday was fairly clear.


Today is a rest day.  I'm working a few hours, but I'm thinking of stopping on the way home to get a couple of miles in just to round out my day.  Not sure if that will happen....my easy chair might win out in the end.  These 60 hour weeks are for the birds, and honestly, I'm just not feeling rested enough right now to have a successful week.  There is a huge  listen-to-your-body element at play here that I'm really battling with.  My mind is telling me that I need to get that burn in, but my body is saying 'whoa....let's rest!' 


Guess we'll see who wins in the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment