Monday, March 16, 2015

Date Nights, and Assorted Stuff

I don't know why, but last week, when Keith said "I'm taking you out for dinner Friday night", I got inordinately excited.  As a general rule, we usually go out at least once, sometimes twice a week.  But there was something about the way he said it this time that made my heart skip a beat.  Then when I asked him if we could go to the little Japanese restaurant we found several weeks ago for sushi, and he said he was good with that....it skipped a few more times.  And then I found that I could not wait for Friday night.

Turned out that I had to work late on Friday, but Keith had driven me to work that morning so he could use my car to run errands in town, so he actually picked me up, and we had the best night.  Just dinner....no drinks or dancing....but it was so nice! We lingered after, sipping hot tea and talking, and it was just the perfect way to start our weekend. And the food was a-mazing (again).  This little restaurant (Miso) has turned into one of my faves....I could eat their sushi every day.  And the best part is that it is so good for me! I really loved the time we spent, just sharing our thoughts, too.  Not like eating so we don't have to cook, but like spending time together.  Dates are important, and as much as we eat out, we don't date nearly enough. I'm hoping we can work on changing that.

We were supposed to go down to the camper and work on stuff Saturday, but it was such a nasty day, we postponed the heavy stuff until Sunday and just worked around the house all day mostly paying bills and stuff.  We got a lot done, though, and it made me very happy to not have to overexert too much.  After working so much overtime last week, I really needed a day to rest and recoup.  But Sunday morning dawned bright and clear, and we could tell it was going to be a lovely warm day, so we got up, packed some food for the day, and went down to the work site.

The 'work site' is actually next door to us, at the foot of our long, obscenely steep quarter mile driveway.  It's located on the original property we bought, and we lived there in a FEMA camper for the first two years, until the lady that sold us the property (who lived next door) decided to sell out and move to Boone, where she worked.  We jumped at the chance to buy the adjoining property, and moved on up.  But we still have that little camper and made the mistake of renting it out to one of our offspring for a year.

O.M.G.  The mess she left behind when she moved. We should have jacked it up and laid dynamite under it.

Neither of us had the heart to go into it for a long time, but we finally cowboyed up, and armed with heavy work gloves and a huge roll of industrial-strength construction-grade lawn and leaf bags, cleaned out the mess.  That just left the heavy cleaning, which I put off for months.  And since we are now using that site to build a house for our good friend, Tracy, which means we have to move the trailer, AND since we now have a buyer for said trailer, it meant that it was time to get busy.

That was my job Sunday. When I say that I worked hard on that trailer for four and a half hours, I mean I worked HARD.  Scrubbing, bending, stretching, sweeping, mopping.....and burning mega calories.  So much so, that I actually got sick a few times and had to take breaks.  I ate at regular intervals, of course...and drank plenty of water, but I could tell that my body was having to tap into its reserves, big time. 

By the time I finished (or at least got to a stopping point), I was so sore and exhausted I could hardly move, much less fix dinner.  Keith had been working on his own stuff down there, and he was just as tired as I was, so we decided to order a thin crust pizza from the only place that's close to our house. His half had ground beef, mushrooms and black olives, and my side was veggie.  I ate mine without any guilt, and enjoyed every bite of it, knowing that I had earned the calories, and STILL was below my calorie limit for the day.  Then I took a hot shower and drugs and went to bed in an overheated bed, where the warmth relaxed me enough to finally go to sleep.

This morning, I feel fine. Still a bit sore, but nothing like last night.  And I'm ready and prepared to jump right back on plan.  In fact, I'm looking forward to another long (lots of overtime), but successful week.  What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment