Friday, March 13, 2015

I Knew It!

Yep....I could feel it! I said so, and it was true.  I could actually feel myself losing weight this past week, and when I jumped on the scale this morning, I had a 4 1/2 pound loss!  That's more than my usual three, and I think that it more than made up for my crappy week last week.  I'm so stinking happy right now!!!  And very excited.  This brings my total loss to 34.5, and means that I am only 13.5 pounds away from my next goal....the 50 pound mark!

One of the concerns I've had on this journey is my BMI, which I haven't measured.  So I found a chart on the internet that tells me what it is based on my weight, which is good since I don't have a set of calipers to measure it on my own.  According to the chart, I've been in the 'obese' category for God knows how long.  Currently, I'm at 35%, down from 42%.

Forty-two per cent.  Oh. My. God.  That's almost half my weight!!!

(breathe....breathe....)

Ok, so my ultimate goal for the moment is 170, subject to revisions as I approach it.  I am, after all, tall, over 50, with kids, so I'm trying to err on the upper end of the spectrum, which I think is a much more realistic goal than say, 150.  If I get to 170 and see that I could stand to lose a little more, I can naturally adjust another five pounds, say, until I feel comfortable.  But I'm a long way from that decision just yet.  My concern with that is that at 174 pounds, my BMI will be 25%, which is still considered 'overweight'.  It doesn't drop down to 24% (the top of the 'normal' range) until I hit 167 pounds.  A difference of 3 pounds may not be huge now, but it could be astronomical in terms of hitting my goal once I get there.

At any rate, I'm not ready to change my ultimate goal just yet.  Still, it's good information to have in order to keep my perspective as I plan and strive toward the end of my active weight loss phase and the beginning of my active maintenance phase, which must continue for the rest of my life, if I am to stay healthy and like Spock, live long and prosper.

It's amazing to feel that old groove again.  I'm not sure how it happened, not sure how I got here, but I'm back in the sweet spot, and I'm gonna ride it for all it's worth, right up to the end.  This time, I feel more prepared to get to my ultimate goal, more braced for all the little changes that I know will happen this time that I didn't even know to be prepared for before.  Those little changes blindsided me.  If I'm honest, they really freaked me out, and all of a sudden, I turned a corner one day and didn't know who I was any more.  That may have been the scariest thing that I ever had to face, and considering my life, that's saying a lot.  I totally had a meltdown.  But of all the things I've ever read about weight loss, especially from people who have lost a substantial amount, I've never read anything that would have prepared me for the day that I'd look in the mirror and see a stranger.

This time, I know it's going to happen.  This time, at least for the moment....I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment