Friday, November 6, 2015

Turning on a Dime

As much as I preach about consistency, there is also a school of thought that change is equally important....and by 'change', I mean the ability to adapt to it suddenly.  If a rock gets thrown in your path while you're running, you have to be able to think quickly enough and be agile enough to jump out of the way, or skirt around it without falling all over yourself in the process.  That's why it's called being 'fast on your feet'.


Being able to adapt at a moment's notice isn't just important in the daily grind, though...it's important in the long run, too...no pun intended. We should be able to consistently adapt to our circumstances.


The past couple of weeks have really been challenging for me, both in terms of my food and of my schedule.  Add in the terrible toll the change of seasons has on me mentally, and October was just a big ole' recipe for disaster.  I've had to constantly talk myself down from the ledge, and it's really been an every day occurrence. It's only been the last few days where I've started feeling like myself again, and back in control of myself and my choices.


What does this mean for me, now?  It means, simply, that as fast as I started tanking with my program, I've gotten myself back together and am now fully back in the saddle (thank God).  That hasn't saved me from gaining a pound (back up to 203.8 this morning), but it HAS saved me from doing any more damage than that.


SO....


So far this week, I've managed activity every day, except today. Wednesday night, Sheila and I had a good solid almost 4 mile run, to which I added another mile plus walk to cool down.  It would have been more, but it got dark on me.  And by dark, I mean pitch freakin' black except for a little pool of light at the base of the streetlights here on station....spooky, and I just say no to that.

Thursday, a nice 3 mile walk at lunch gave me some much needed mileage and a good ego boost, as well to keep my momentum going.

Which brings me to today...

Here's where that 'adapting' thing comes into play again, because today is a run day, and I was loaded for bear, having already made plans to run after work with Sheila. 

...except that instead of running, I will be on the road, Atlanta-bound for an overnight trip.  I wanted to walk at lunch to compensate (and keep my streak intact), but it was raining when I went outside.  Normally, I'd have just sucked it up, but I couldn't today, because I was at work, and also because no umbrella.  Boo.  Serious boo, actually.

I'm really not happy right now about it, but there's nothing I can do.  This trip must be taken, and I must be the one to take it.  SO...what do I do? I pack my workout clothes, and decide that come hell or high water, I will get my run in tomorrow morning before hitting the road to come back home. Even if that means waking up at 4 in the morning.

C'est la vie. We do what we must.  Saturday may be sucky, but Sunday is supposed to be beautiful, and I will be home and hopefully hiking with my lovelies by then.

What about you?  Any great plans for this weekend?  How do you roll with the punches? Share your secrets below!




No comments:

Post a Comment