Friday, January 20, 2023

Ho-Ho-Ho....ly Crud!



hristmas is a time of joy, love, laughter, family....and feasting. For Christians, it's a time to celebrate the birth of our Savior.  Despite that, it seems like the older I get, the more bah-humbuggier I get, though. I love the time with family and friends, but more and more, I just want it over.  It's too much. Of everything.

People that know me in person know me as a loud, boisterous, friendly, outgoing person. I work to achieve that persona, because inwardly, I'm extremely introverted and shy. I'd much prefer to curl up with a good book or a nice mug of coffee and my favorite show and decompress than go...well, anywhere, really. I just am not a people person. So peopling is a lot of work for me, and it just saps my energy to keep up with any holiday hoop-la.

This year, because we had a grandbaby due right at Christmas, we decided to spend it in Tennessee, where I could roll work and pleasure together with a site visit and be there for the birth of the baby, too.  Keith was supposed to join me as soon as the baby was born and stay through Christmas day before heading back to GA, but our plans went sideways when he unexpectedly had to stay home.

Since Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without Poppy, we decided to postpone the gift-giving a couple of weeks and go back up to open presents with our granddaughters then.  This past weekend was a 3-day holiday weekend for me, so it was the perfect time to go back up, have Christmas with the girls, and also see Keith's cousin and his wife, who we're very close to.

This time, all went much closer to plan. I am happy to report that my first trip on my program went well, and even though I didn't pack any food to take with me, I was able to stay well within my calorie counts every day, and make great choices.  So I was very pleased with my progress. Saturday evening, we made plans to meet the cousins for dinner at a local restaurant, and I was surprised to see Keith's cousin looking so exhausted and just....bad.  When he mentioned that he was coming off working 13 days straight with no off-day, I chalked it up to that, and thought nothing more about it.

It wasn't until Monday when we were traveling back to GA that I noticed my sinus pressure building and Keith told me I had probably caught his cousin's cold.

Side note: maybe it's just me....but isn't it common courtesy if you make plans to meet someone to let them KNOW if you're under the weather?? Because apparently, he was. Massively.  

I spent the next three days with some of the most serious sinus pressure I have ever experienced, and only today has it FINALLY started letting up and draining. Of course, that comes with a different set of challenges, but it's infinitely better than feeling like you're head's about to explode.

Needless to say, once the pressure started mounting, all thoughts of logging anything went straight out the window, along with my appetite. I haven't logged any food...even today....since Monday, but I'm quite confident that I haven't come close to my daily caloric limit, either. Tomorrow will be a better day, and although I'm feeling so much better today, I know that it'll be even that much better tomorrow. I'll start worrying about getting back on track with my plan then.  

Life happens. Things will come up, and part of any successful plan is knowing how and when to work around things, and how and when to be kind to yourself.  When you're legitimately sick is exactly such a time.  So...I will start my logging again then. I am STILL making the best choices I can make...I haven't used this as an excuse to jump off the train.  But my log will still be there tomorrow, and so will my food of choice. The best lesson to be learned from this is not to let a pebble on the track derail you.  Locomotives can crush a pebble and keep on chugging like it was never there.

Don't ever sweat the small stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment