Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Programming Change...

So....I've decided after a week of pretty much same ole' same ole' to change up my thoughts on this blog thing. It's gonna get pretty boring just blogging the same exact thing every day, so it doesn't make much sense to waste my time....or the time of my potential readers.

Instead, I've taken a page from a few seasoned bloggers I'm now following, and have decided to blog only once a week, most likely on Sunday, since it's A.) the day after my free day, and B.) the day after weigh-in.  Following this will be much less restricting for me, and the more freedom I have in a blog, the more likely I will be to stick with it.  I can always blog extra if I feel the need, i.e. something untoward happens, like I totally clean out the Ben and Jerry's display down at Food City.

In the meantime, I will say that this past week went exceptionally well, and Saturday was more than interesting. 

In the past couple of weeks, I have ceased to focus on extra-curricular food...as in the junk I'd be making a pit-stop for on the way home, or sneaking out of the vending machine here at work. I think there are two main reasons for this.

1. Getting away from all the carbs has helped my body with the carb cravings.  I feel like I was on a roller-coaster I couldn't get off of. I was helpless to kill the cravings, and helpless to fight them, despite my will.  My inability to cope with this caused a downward spiral of self-loathing that I feel is probably unequaled in the history of the world. I am now convinced that carbs are the Devil Incarnate.

2. So now that I've managed to tame the terrible gnawing need to fill my gut with empty calories, I have found that my 'free' day....the day I can eat anything I want to, guilt free....has snuck up on me twice, now.  And I have managed to care very little.

3. Except that because it IS 'free day', it means that I MUST take advantage of it, or All Will Be Lost.  What if I miss the opportunity to eat that ten-day-old piece of coconut cake in the back of the fridge?  Oh. My. God.  I'll have to wait another ENTIRE WEEK before I can indulge again!  And what if that cake is gone by then?  Or worse....somebody Throws It Away.  Children are starving in Africa.

This past Saturday, I woke with no thought in my head other than to make breakfast, as usual.  But halfway through unloading the fridge for omelette ingredients, it occurred to me:  this was FREE DAY.  Immediately, I stopped what I was doing, and returned everything to the fridge.  No way was I cooking a healthy breakfast today!  Not because I particularly wanted something else....but because I could.

Nothing would do, but that I had to have pancakes.  A huge stack of home made pancakes dripping with butter and syrup....and maybe some token sausage on the side.  Because God knew when I would be able to get them again....so STUFF WHILE YOU CAN.

We immediately headed to the local breakfast cafe, where I ordered three pancakes with sausage, and proceeded to stuff myself.  It came as a shock when I could barely finish two.  And what amazed me is that I FORCED myself to eat THAT much!  Holy cow!

But I left, well contented, but determined that I would not be repeating that experience.  After all...I have learned much, and it was my HEAD that craved those pancakes, not my body. Not at all.

Due to our stuffing, we did not eat lunch, although I did eat a bit of chocolate...just because I could.  I saw the pack and felt obligated to eat it, because it was my FREE DAY.

Dinner found neither of us in the mood to cook, so again, because it was FREE DAY, I suggested we go to one of my hubby's favorite restaurants to indulge....Pizza Inn.  They have an all you can eat pizza buffet, you see....and it was Saturday.  My FREE DAY.  So it was perfectly legal for me to have eight slices of pizza and three slices of dessert pizza.

I waddled home, feeling nauseated, and proceeded to mount the scale for my weekly weigh-in.

232.4

If I recall correctly, that was where I was two weeks ago.  And I was shocked. 

Profound Observation #1: Just because you are learning new things every day, it doesn't stop you from acting like a moron.

OK, so this week, I've decided to stop acting that way, and use some effing common sense, already.  I will continue on the regularly scheduled program (which was a huge relief to my system to resume on Sunday, btw...) and when Saturday rolls around, I will eat with much moderation....and the possible addition of a baked sweet potato or whole wheat roll.

In addition, I have totally stolen this ticker idea (see above) off a blog I found to be totally inspirational, and so as I start back with my walking/ running next week, I will be updating it as well.  My goal is to walk/run 500 miles this year, and I'd REALLY love to do the Covered Bridge 5k again this year, in June.  That's totally doable....as long as I start training for it now.  I'll keep you posted....no worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment