Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 3: Back to the ole' grind.

Ok, so today was my first real test on the new 'system', which is really just the old 'system', but with new resolve....I hope.


Started the morning with eggs and bacon, courtesy of my personal weekday chef (Keith cooks me breakfast every morning while I'm dressing for work). They were both yummy and filling, and as much as I hated to, I set out on time. Unfortunately, after making the half-hour trek to Johnson City, parking the car, and trudging up the stairs to the main doors, I realized that I had left my keys at home (enter stress). So I bite the bullet and call home, but Keith can't meet me halfway....he's got the trailer hitched to the truck, which means that I will need to go all the way back home to get them (enter stress2). I make a quick call to let my boss know I will be late on the first day of the brand new year...and why (enter stress now spiraling through the roof). Thank God my boss is so understanding.


After picking up keys and getting a refill on my travel mug, I headed back toward the city, but decided that lunchtime was too long to wait for food, considering I may not even get any lunch....(no food in the fridge+lack of shopping over the holiday weekend=no sammich for Jill) so I made an executive decision and stopped at Hardees for an omelette burrito. Safe enough, except for the tortilla, I think, but I made a good discovery: Hardees sells a low-carb breakfast bowl....pretty much what I got minus the burrito, in a bowl. Who knew? Good future info...


I digress.


Why did I feel the overwhelming need to stop for breakfast when I had just had a decent breakfast, not two hours before? I wasn't hungry. But the thought that I might get hungry is what spurred the decision. And although I've never thought stress was really a trigger for me, I can't tell it by this little scenario. So...maybe so, and maybe no. Oy....regardless, I've got a long way to go.


Lunch (which I did get, by the way) was another wrap....grilled chicken, lettuce, tomato, olives, bell pepper, cheese and ranch dressing) on a spinach tortilla, and a diet coke. Again...a fairly wise choice, I think...tortilla notwithstanding. I do need to find a way to drink more water. Lots more water. My downfall: a chocolate-filled peppermint that came in a Christmas gift bag from a colleague. I have one more that's screaming at me from my desk drawer. It will be gone in the next day or two, I'm sure....maybe even before I'm through writing this if it doesn't shut up. Too late....

I did have a triumph on the way home. Got the overwhelming urge to stop somewhere and stuff my face with whatever looked appealing, but I managed to stifle it. Although I was hungry, I really wasn't starving, and more than able to make it home for dinner without expiring behind the wheel. But it got me thinking....was there a trigger for this?

I can't say that it was stress-induced. Other than the morning debacle, this was not a stressful day in the least. Boredom, then? Well....that might very well be a possibility, since I seem to be prone to getting in trouble when I get bored. And if that means food....

I'll keep an eye on that, and my stress levels for a while...see if maybe there might be a pattern.

Dinner was provided by my MIL, one of the best cooks in the free world. Roast beef, english peas, roasted potatoes and carrots, and thick slices of home-baked bread. It almost killed me to pass up the bread and potatoes/carrots, but I did, eating only a medium serving of both the roast and the peas. If the truth were known, I could have turned up the entire bowl of both without batting an eye, but I didn't want to appear rude for not eating some things, and eating too much of others. *sigh* So, although what I ate was delicious, I ultimately left the table feeling not only completely unsatisfied, but also deprived as well. Not good. I went back home and immediately dived into the fridge, grabbing a handful of turkey jerkey. An hour later, I had a serving of sunflower seeds.

Overall, despite the two flour tortillas and the two peppermints....the lack of exercise other than the quarter-mile hike to and from my car....and the extra breakfast I really didn't need....I think I did fairly well today. I didn't cave in to my impulses this afternoon, and I actually put some thought toward potential triggers. I would call this day a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment