Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Out with the old...

 I haven't posted much yet this week, but I have been doing really great, and regardless of what the scale may say on Friday, I feel really good about the choices I've made this week.  I've been eating very well, watching my portion sizes and staying well within my calorie allotment every day.  I've also managed to get some form of exercise in every day, (although yesterday was admittedly slim in that department), and am firmly in week two of the C25K plan and going strong.

I had told Keith a couple of weeks ago when I dusted off my old worn-out Asics that I wanted a new pair for my birthday, which I will celebrate next week.  That's a hard admission for me to make, since this pair took me through so many miles, across the Covered Bridge for my first 5K, down Peachtree Street for my first 10K, and through the streets of Kingsport for my last 10K.  They are slick on the bottom, all semblance of cushion and support are long gone, and there is literally no tread left.  They are my badge of honor...the proof that I didn't just talk the talk...and I have battled letting them go.  I have worn them far longer than I should have.

Still, the fact remains that if I intend on sticking to my plan of training for the Eastman in September, I can not afford to keep running in them.  And that meant digging deep for a new pair.

Enter my mom...who just sent me 40 bucks for my birthday, early.   Seeing as how my last pair cost me upwards of 180 bucks, I figured it would be a nice dent, but still didn't hold out much hope of actually being able to cough up the remainder.  Mentally, I prepared myself for a visit to Wally World.  But a girl I work with referred me to a great shop in downtown Johnson City to check out...they specialize in nothing but running shoes and supplies and can do gait analyses, which I've wanted to have done for quite a while.  So, since I had to run an errand right down the street, I decided to drop by yesterday. 

I'm SO glad I did. Turns out they had about five pair of Asics on clearance, perfect for my particular gait....and one was my size!!! 

50 bucks.  Fifty.  Dollars.

SCORE.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am now the proud owner of a new pair of Asics Gel Cumulus running shoes.  Can't WAIT to try these puppies out on the track this afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment