Thursday, April 23, 2015

Intervals!

I was super-happy with the results of my run on Monday.  At this stage of the game, a sub-15 is like the holy grail to me.  What I have loved with this Runkeeper plan that I never actually saw with the Couch to 5K plan (although I don't actually know why) is the staggeringly consistent improvement I'm seeing with every run.  Maybe it's the plan...maybe it's just me.  I dunno.  But I am incredibly impressed and motivated every time I see the results of my runs.

Last night, I started off feeling so good.  My body felt solid, and other than drinking a little too much water before I got started (if you know what I mean), I knew that I was in for a good run.  I started off really strong, but somewhere in the third interval, I came down funny on my right leg and felt my knee seize up.  That is never a good sign, so I eased back a bit after that, which you can see reflected in my split times.

 
10:10?? Are you freaking kidding me??

I've had my moments in the past...no doubt.  But I don't think I've ever been able to sustain speeds like I saw last night for as long as I did.  Even after my knee seized up, I was still seeing 11's, and that just amazes me beyond belief!  Yes....it was only for a minute each time.  But a minute can seem like an eternity when you're 70 pounds overweight.

Now....my knee.  The ligaments in the back of my knee had already been feeling extra tight this week.  I've been doing stretches before and after each run, but whenever I start running, there are usually areas (hip and groin issues spring to mind) that have to....shall we say, adapt..?...to the new norm.  I thought this was probably the same, but when I went all out last night, my knee just kind of folded under the added stress, I think.  Anyway, I can walk on it just fine, as long as I don't try to move too quickly or sharply.  What this means for my running in the short term remains to be seen, though....hopefully, I'll be feeling solid enough to run tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment