Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Tuesday Runs

I had a blast last night.

Before, when I was running, I ran every day except for Sunday.  I never had a training program, I just ran. At first, I couldn't even make it a quarter of the way around the track.  But then I learned how to pace myself, and found that the endurance became easier and easier, and I could run for longer and longer distances.  My standard short run became a three-miler.  I would usually run that on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday, I would up it by a mile, and then another on Friday, with a long run (six miles) on Saturday. Sunday was my rest day. That became my norm....to just plod the designated amount of miles every day, happy that I could go the distance, but wishing I wasn't such a turtle about it.

No wonder I never built up any speed.

This time, I'm trying to train smarter.  This time, I'm using a training schedule that incorporates interval training, fartleks, and tempo runs to help accustom my body to running at faster paces, longer.  And this time, it's working.

Last night, I ran intervals.  And I felt wicked good doing them.  Not only did I run faster, but I shaved a minute and a half off my Sunday run time.  As a matter of fact, I felt so good, I didn't want to stop when the run was over, so I queued up another workout and walked another mile after the run.  And this morning, I'm not sore at all....unlike Sunday.  So my body must be improving.

It's a good thing I was able to run last night, because today, it's going to be pouring all day. It rained yesterday too, but it was my run day, and I wasn't going to give it up, even if it meant running soaking wet.  Fortunately, I didn't have to....the rain had stopped by the time I left work, and held off long enough for me to get my workouts done and get home before the bottom fell out again.  I considered that a major victory.

Today is a rest day for me. I'd like to have gotten a walk in, but whether I do or don't, the endorphins from last night will be enough to carry me through until tomorrow...my next run day.

I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment