Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Starting Fresh

Can I just say that this 'not being able to post pics' thing is getting really old??


Ok, I feel much better, now. It's just that I really love taking pics and posting them, and it's also a great visual reminder/catalog of my process and progress, that I'm not getting to take advantage of!!  It just really sucks, is all.


Ok, moving on...


This past weekend, I had really grand plans to run and hike and do a lot of really active stuff. Yeah...none of that happened.  Both of us were so freakin' exhausted, we were total slugs all weekend (with the exception of Saturday morning, when we went to see the boys off).  Honestly, though?  I'm not really sorry.  We needed that rest desperately, and sometimes you just gotta take a day.  Or two.


So...yes, I needed the rest. No, I most decidedly did not need the inactivity.  Yeouch.


I started my new training regimen for realz yesterday, and my knee let me know it about two steps in...literally.  I was hobbling for the first mile, and it never really freed up.  This is my life now...the reality of aging, and for the record...it bites.  Big time.


I have figured out that every other day is about as long a stretch as I can manage without a run.  Two days with no running really kills me.  Last week, I really only had one run for the whole week, and it took its toll on me, as evidenced by my joints just basically locking up on me.  The opposite happens when I try to run every day...my joints are great, but my muscles go through hell.


So...every other day it is.


Last night, I hobbled through two miles, and was pretty much toast by the end. I never broke a 16:00 pace. I'm not even sure I broke 16:30.  But you know what?  I finished.  And that's ok in my book.  It's a good start to the week, and so far, I'm right on track with my training, lol.  No run today, but I'll be ready by tomorrow.  My knee already feels better.


I've decided on my next race...it's a night race, too!  That should be fun...a 5K at the Bristol Speedway that just happens to fall on our anniversary. I have roughly 9 weeks to pull myself together and see what I can do.


Time to get busy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment