Friday, June 19, 2015

TGIF. Seriously.

Wow...this last two weeks has just about done me in, no joke. 


When we became part owners of an auto repair garage in Atlanta a couple of months ago, we decided that Keith would have to start going down two weeks a month for a while.  With that in mind, we decided that if we planned his trips to encompass the last week in one of my pay periods, and the first week in the next, I could work all my overtime while he's out of town, and that would leave me free to come home at the regular time while he's home to give us more time to spend together.


All that works great on paper, until you actually have to start shuffling. Holy cow, am I exhausted!!


But the first two weeks is in the books, all my OT is done for this pay period, I'm leaving at NORMAL time tonight, and my baby's on his way home.  All is right with my world.


It could have been a little righter if I'd shown a loss on the scale this morning, though.  Just sayin'.


Still...there was no gain, and that's always a good thing.  My workouts were good this week, my eating was awesome, and my water....well, it might have been a little too good.  That program I was on for three days this week had me drinking twice the water I'm used to, and I'm feeling distinctly waterlogged as a result.  I'm thinking that my usual 64 ounces (84 on running days) is pretty much perfect for me.  So...for the foreseeable future, I'm just gonna stick to my normal plan. It works, my body likes it, and I'm comfortable with it.


My run last night felt pretty good.  I worked so late that by the time I left, it was 8pm and already getting dusky, so I decided to run on station rather than waste 20 minutes of daylight going to my normal place.  There is a one-way road that loops around a big gazebo area that is mainly used for parking during the day. It's pretty shady most of the time, due to the big oak trees that line it, and after hours, it's also pretty empty.  There's a nice gradual grade involved, and one loop is just over half a mile, so it's pretty good for doing laps if there's no traffic.


I chose an easy two-miler with a quarter mile breather interval in between, and chose to work on my arms pumping straight up and down as opposed to across my body like they've always done. It's amazing the difference just that small change can make in your dynamics.  It's equally amazing how much concentration it takes to break bad habits one has had for years.  Still...I knew going in that this was a process, and a very necessary one, if I ever have a hope of improving my form.


I also briefly tried picking up my knees a little higher.  I could tell it made a huge difference in my speed, but I couldn't keep it up for long at all...and this morning, my thighs and obliques are hollering at me, so I feel I must be on to something with that.  It all goes back to core strength...something I am sadly lacking in right now, but am really starting to concentrate on.


Tonight and tomorrow, we're going to be spending some family time with our grandsons before they head back to Missouri tomorrow night.  Not sure how long it might be before the next visit, so we want to make the most of it while we can.  I'll be due to run again tomorrow night, but I'll probably just do another two miles and plan on starting on my main plan on Monday.  That way, I can start fresh, and still be able to make the most of my weekend with the hubs.  He should like that....maybe we can even get a nice hike in!  That would be fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment