Saturday, January 12, 2013

Week Two Reckoning

Yesterday, I really angsted over that can of tuna. I guzzled water like it was my job, and worked out extra hard yesterday (meaning with extra concentration).  Last night, I had a nice piece of fish and two cups of fresh green beans, seasoned with no-sodium beef bouillon.  But I really, really worried about the effect that damned sodium had on my system.  I was happy with the four pound loss the scale registered yesterday morning...it showed a nice pay-off for all my hard work this week.  And, although I didn't expect to see any MORE of a loss, I was scared to death of losing any of that hard-earned ground I'd gained over the past six days.

So...it was with trepidation that I mounted the scale this morning. Imagine my shock when I read the results:  250.0.  Wow. I had to do it twice, just to make sure I'd read it right...but the second time fluctuated between 249.8 and 250 before settling on the larger number, so I took it and RAN.  OMG!!! A five pound loss!! ON WEEK TWO!!!  Holy cow.

To say that I'm proud of myself is an understatement....I'm freaking overjoyed.  In the past two weeks, I've dropped a total of 10.6 pounds....and am well on my way.

Now...I'm left with the question 'why'?  What was it that caused me to lose another pound and a half yesterday?  What did I do differently?

  • Yesterday was my exercise day...I did no walking (not that amounted to anything, anyway...just the usual).
  • I ate plain light tuna that wasn't low-sodium (VERY salty to my palate now, btw).
  • I got in a significant amount more water than I've been drinking...and I've been doing pretty good.
  • I ate a little more than usual for dinner.
  • How should I say this...?  My excretory system worked very well yesterday.
Now...normally, I wouldn't even mention that last, but in all fairness, it must be noted that I have noticed a marked decline in that department in the last two weeks.  I can only contribute that to the lack of excess that I am putting into my body now. Whereas before, I was eating so much more than my body could handle (hence, multiple daily trips to the bathroom), now, my body is using what I give it for fuel, and calling on reserves, so there is much, much less to eliminate now.  Consequently, I find I am going several days in between visits.

That being said, I doubt seriously if that alone could account for a 1 1/2 pound weight loss (heaven help me!), but it certainly contributed. I think more than anything, it just offset whatever I might have gained as a result of eating the tuna.  No....I think if I'm honest, it's a mixture between drinking more water, and eating just a tad more.  Honestly, I think I may have been shorting myself of the protein for the past several days, and eating a bit more at each meal is probably a very necessary thing. I don't mean  a LOT, mind....we're only talking an ounce or so.  But that adds up. 

This week, I plan on doubling my water efforts, and adding an ounce or so of protein to my meals.  It should be interesting to see the results on the scale next Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment