Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Weekend Wrap-up

This was a weird and wonderful weekend, chock full of twists and turns, and many, many learning experiences, which I am doing my best to absorb.  After Friday's snow day, I still had a good weigh-in on Saturday, which I pretty much expected.  I am really beginning to feel a difference in my clothes.  Saturday morning, however, I had started out doing some things around the house while waiting on friends to arrive from out of town.  When I saw that time was getting close, I stopped to get my workout in, which had been pre-empted the night before, feeling pretty confident that I would be able to get my day 2 workout done on Monday, and not be off my schedule but by one day...not too bad, really.

I was into my second exercise in the set, when Keith (who was working outside frantically trying to shore up a collapsed retaining wall...all the rain, don'tcha know) came in and asked me to stop.  An emergency trip to town to pick up much-needed tools from the shop forced me to throw in the towel.  I don't feel bad on this one, because there was truly no alternative....but I did feel frustrated at being preempted two days in a row, especially knowing that I would not have an opportunity to do anything on Sunday.  This meant that I would be off my schedule by half a week, almost....truly frustrating.

So, I headed to the in-laws, armed with my food for the day, and wound up doing fairly well on food.  The homemade lasagna that everyone else had didn't even particularly bother me, and it really helped that my family seems to understand and honor what I'm doing; no one made an attempt to force a plate onto me, thank God, and seemed genuinely interested in what I was doing and why (mechanically speaking, lol). 

Sunday, I realized that I didn't have enough fish cooked for the entire day.  This was bad, but I figured I could probably find something to eat at the in-laws' without having to cook right then, so I packed up what I had, and headed out.  After a bit of shopping, my friends stopped by Dunkin Donuts to pick up some coffee, and wound up bringing back a box of donut holes, which were promptly pounced on by everyone at the house.  They went over so well, in fact, that my friends went BACK to DD and scored another large box of holes and a dozen chocolate iced, chocolate glazed, chocolate  filled, chocolate sprinkled donuts to go with it.  The good news? Didn't bother me a bit. I sat there, blissfully sipping my black coffee, thanking God that I was free of that chain...for now, at least. I'm under no illusions that the monster won't ever rear its ugly head again.  But at that point in time, all I could think of was how nauseating the smell was, and how many empty calories were being shoveled in that room. Ugh! The bad news, however, was that I had to 'settle' for some of my mother-in-law's wonderful baked ham for my protein....(honey glazed...I did my best to trim that part off, but it was still a bit sweet), and I missed my dinner.

Monday, I wound up at home, with no transportation, since the guys had both left to go to work.  And I had no protein cooked.  What was worse: I had left all my lettuce and salad veggies at the in-laws' house (I actually thought I'd left it in the car...horrors!), which effectively strangled my eating for the day.  I ended up nibbling on a smoked trout (LOADED with sodium!) and a bag of frozen brussels sprouts....and again, missing my dinner.  This morning showed the damage: almost 2 lbs up on the scale.  I know it's just water weight, and that I'll be able to flush it, no problem....but it's a hard way to learn.  I did get the rest of my day 1 workout in, though...finally.

My lessons from this weekend:

Be prepared. Always.  Keep ahead of the game with an adequately stocked fridge and an action plan.

Don't let time slip away.  Get the workout in...then do everything else...even if you think you have plenty of time.  You may not.

Never, ever,  EVER skip a meal. Ever. No matter what excuse you give yourself.

Keep away from smoked anything.

So....a resounding success?  Nope.  But you don't learn much from resounding successes...except that you're on the right track.  This weekend has taught me that I'm still in this thing, despite all the little frustrations and minor setbacks.  And even if I wound up gaining 1.8 lbs for the week...it wouldn't deter me, because I'm in this for the long haul...and that's what counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment