Friday, January 23, 2015

The On-Target Rush

There is a huge rush to be had by knowing that you are on target.  I believe that (not unlike the flood of endorphins that you feel after a great run, a/k/a the 'runner's high') it may be one of the best feelings ever. Maybe it's just knowing that you have your shizz together that makes the difference. But there is something to be said for having every single thing you planned go off without a hitch.

I'm racing the clock right now, trying to beat some nasty weather headed this way this weekend, so yesterday, it was very important for me to get my workout in.  Since I knew that today was going to be crappy outside, I decided to put off my day two workout (which is done inside) until tonight (when I knew it would be raining/snowing), and instead get in one more day of walking.  This was important also because I actually missed half my workout the night before and only managed a half hour instead of my usual hour.

I was DETERMINED yesterday to take my lunch, and I did.  I got in a solid half hour of walking (a little over 1.5 miles), and then worked until 6:30 last night.  At that point, I was actually still debating on whether to try to walk or to stay on my schedule and go home to my workout, but I decided it would be better to hedge my bets against the weather, so I stopped at the grocery store on the way home and walked around its well-lit parking lot three and a half times....which gave me another half hour/1.5 miles.  Done for the day!  That felt really, really good.  Still had to run in the store and pick up a few things, and stop at the gas station, but I made it home by 8:15;  just in time to eat dinner, prep and hit the hay.  I got in bed before my bedtime, and lay there in the dark, high as a kite, thinking that I'd checked off everything on my list.

There was one other thing...a NSV...that really made my morning yesterday.

Our department at work has monthly staff meetings, which also include a pot-luck breakfast.  The department is split up into four teams, which means that every fourth month, you're on the docket to provide something for the breakfast spread.  And it's yummy.  I mean really, really yummy. These folks go all out.  They love to cook, they love to show off their skills, and they really love to eat! Fortunately, my team is not due to cook until March, but I was really dreading yesterday morning, knowing all that great food would be here and I'd probably get a lot of pressure/questions/nosiness from everyone when they saw I wasn't eating with everyone else.

But that's not how it happened, and I was incredibly, pleasantly surprised.  First, I was not tempted, even a little bit, by the smells coming from the kitchen...and they were awesome smells. After the meeting was over, I just sat there talking to a few of the stragglers while most everyone else lined up to dig in (the highlight of their day).  Once the line went down a little, I just slipped back into my office, and nobody even noticed I had not eaten.  My office mate did, but she knew what I was doing and why, so no pressure or awkwardness there.  And I was able to enjoy my breakfast, my NSV, and my morning in peace.

Negatives:  Only the impending weather, which is still looming over my head.

Positives:  So many! But in a nutshell, my feeling of empowerment over a well-planned and well-executed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment