Thursday, January 15, 2015

To Tree or Not to Tree....

Yesterday, Keith called me at work and asked me if I wanted him to bring the boxes up from the basement to take our Christmas tree down.  This is a big deal for me, as I really, really love our tree.  I never expected to, mind...the older I've gotten, the more of a chore decorating for Christmas seems to have become.  But this tree....wow.  We got it from my in-laws during their downsizing, and I only put it up last year because of the grandkids.  The problem was that once I actually put it up, it was so gorgeous, and the little white lights on it gave such a warm, cheery glow to our little cabin, I wished that I had put it up much, much earlier, rather than waiting til the last minute, which is what I had done. 



The huge bonus to me was that now that I'm coming home from work after dark on these cold, harsh winter nights, as I come up my long, winding driveway, I can see the lights far off through the woods, welcoming me home.  I am loathe to give that up.

However....there comes a point sometime shortly after the first of the year, when I'm ready to resume normal life...and sadly, that means our beautiful, warm, glowing tree has to go.  I have reached that point, and was afraid that since we're going out of town this weekend, I would have to wait until next week to take it down.  That was certainly Keith's plan, so it kinda took me off guard when he called me yesterday, and of course, I said yes!

With my current schedule, that's kinda like loading two plates at a buffet....your eyes are bigger than your stomach.

I worked two hours over last night, then had to go by the store to pick up a new hair dryer on my way home, after which I had to do my workout Day Two, and eat dinner.  When in the hell was I gonna have time to get all that done AND take the tree down by 9pm??

Sadly, despite my resolve, the tree had to wait.  I DID get my workout done....VERY proud of that....and am happy to report that I am somehow STILL perfectly on track.  Today, if I'm lucky, I'll be able to work in my walk during my breaks so that when I leave tonight (early, btw...not working over), I'll be able to go straight home, take down the tree, and pack for our weekend trip.

Packing, by the way, also will be including all my food that I will need to be successful while I'm away from home.  This will be my first real challenge, but I'm sure that with Keith's help and some pre-planning, I'll be able to overcome this hurdle too.

Negatives:  Not enough time.  NEVER enough time.

Positives:  I prioritized and got the most important stuff done FIRST....me!

No comments:

Post a Comment