Friday, January 9, 2015

Tough Days

We all have them.  Some are always going to be worse than others.  Yesterday was really tough for me, probably the toughest work day I've had since I started this job.  Tough really didn't describe it; it was brutal.  And it did not stop all day.  I had a deadline I was crunching, which meant that I could not stop to walk, to take a break, to anything but run to the bathroom...literally....and back. 

I justified not walking at lunch by telling myself that I would walk after work, and it would also help to alleviate all the stress from my day before I went home (which was true).  But quitting time came, and I had to work two hours over, which put me leaving at twilight....and it was bitter cold outside.  So I decided that I would make yesterday my workout day #1, and I headed home, exhausted.  By the time I arrived, I was so exhausted, hungry, and out of steam, I wanted to throw in the towel.  I could hardly stand up.

Enter my loving and oh, so supportive husband.

A few days ago, a facebook friend posted a picture to her wall that I thought was incredibly profound.  It mirrored exactly her own personal journal over the past couple of years (which has made her one of my personal heroes), and it really resonated with me as well. So much so, in fact, that I printed it out and took it home to put on my fridge for inspiration. Here's the pic:


How can one picture capture so much feeling?

Anyway, last night when I told Keith I was throwing in the towel, he didn't say a word.....just walked over to the fridge, took down that pic, and showed it to me.

Damn.

How could I throw in the towel after that?  No, I didn't do my workout, and no, I didn't walk....but I did climb the stairs ten times....which almost killed me.  It was something, as opposed to nothing.  And I ended my day feeling like a success instead of a failure.  I'd call that a win.

Negatives:  Considering the circumstances I was in...I can't really think of any.  That's probably a good thing.

Positives: Perseverance. And the support I'm getting from my husband is incredible...and invaluable.  Last night, I really needed it, and he really came through for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment